Teaching in Kigali, Rwanda

Welcome! This page was intended to keep my friends and family informed of my experiences in Kigali for the 2010-2011 school year. Thanks for stopping by and staying in touch! I will continue to post as I transition back to life in California.

Sunday, May 1, 2011

Countdown

May. My last month in Rwanda. In four weeks I'll be in London. In five weeks, California. Until this weekend I have tried to avoid the thoughts of packing and good-byes that must come soon, but I believe it is time to prepare for these realities.

Why I am sad:

I am leaving a beautiful country and city, with no current plans to return.

I am leaving students who have impacted me far greater than I could have ever expected. They are each a joy and blessing that will forever be precious memories for my soul. God sure knew what He was doing when He put us together for this year.

I am leaving a community of brothers and sisters who have shown me love, generosity, and friendship. I am grateful to have shared this year with men and women who are like-minded, and like-hearted, though we come from different backgrounds and experiences.

I am leaving a place where it is easy to remember and depend on God daily in all of life’s circumstances. Life is easier here (and by easy, I do not mean convenient!), as there is less noise and materialistic distractions. It has been a good rest for my soul to not have to daily fight my own culture.

Why I am excited:

I am coming home to my dearly missed family and friends. I am so grateful for their love and support while I have been off on this adventure for 10 months.

I am going to travel a lot over the summer to see many loved ones, attend weddings, and see many beautiful places in the US.

Food! American food! And by American, I mean Chinese and Mexican! ;)

I love the ocean, and I can’t wait to go walk the shores and listen to the waves again.

It is a sure thing that this year has changed a lot about how I view the world, and has challenged me to grow in many ways. I am excited to see how I can use these experiences to further the purpose of my teaching and life back home.

I knew this school year would go fast, and indeed, it speeds on!

Blessings~

1 comment:

  1. Great post, Jenn. Well put. I'll be praying for you as I remember just how hard it is to leave a continent of people you love...not knowing when or if you'll ever see them again. It's tough. Love ya, Pepper

    ReplyDelete