Teaching in Kigali, Rwanda

Welcome! This page was intended to keep my friends and family informed of my experiences in Kigali for the 2010-2011 school year. Thanks for stopping by and staying in touch! I will continue to post as I transition back to life in California.

Friday, June 3, 2011

Best year of my life! (So far!)


Exactly one year ago today, I was supposed to be at Disneyland with Bailey to help with a grad night event, but those plans were cancelled.  Instead, I joined some friends for dinner in Lakewood.  During dinner, the subject of teaching at missionary schools came up as some of the girls at the table have considered this in their futures.  I was not one of them.  I already knew about KICS from Lisa Sudman, and as her daughter was at the table, we spent some time talking about the school.  Quietly I got out my iPhone and sent Lisa an email asking her about available positions and other details.  Not for myself of course, but for any of my interested friends!  We emailed back and forth a few times, and she gave me a lot of good info.   I'll admit that my heart beat a little faster when I read that KICS was looking for a middle school math and/or Bible teacher.  Interesting.

That night as I went to bed, I picked up my copy of Crazy Love by Francis Chan.  For the past few years, the word “obedience” often came to mind as I reflected on my relationship with God.  This book was definitely changing my small worldview of what it meant to be obedient.  I had been working on the book for a while.  It’s not one of those books one can or should rush through.  As I read that night, the words deeply convicted me.  Would I be willing and obedient to leave my job, family, friends, church, community, and comfort to follow Christ?  No.  I said it aloud. 

Why did I feel so upset?  I’ve been blessed with a great job, community and church.  Jesus would not ask me to leave that, why would He?  But, what if… ?

Obviously, my heart was changed as I just spent the last year teaching grade 6 in Kigali.  Leaving some of these blessings, even if just for a year, has helped me to learn and grow and find a new word to focus on, ‘confidence’.   There were so many new blessings to discover in Kigali, many that I’ve already written about.  Saying ‘Yes’ to this opportunity has given my faith great confidence.  And now, as I return from Rwanda, I plan to live my life with that new confidence.

Amazing what can happen in 365 days.  I wonder what will happen in the next 365… can’t wait to find out!

No comments:

Post a Comment