Teaching in Kigali, Rwanda

Welcome! This page was intended to keep my friends and family informed of my experiences in Kigali for the 2010-2011 school year. Thanks for stopping by and staying in touch! I will continue to post as I transition back to life in California.

Wednesday, September 1, 2010

Answers to Prayer

I find sometimes that I am quite lame at recognizing answers to prayer. I either forget to pay attention or I take them for granted far too often. It was very difficult to be ignorant this week…

I thank you all for your prayers for my health. While I was quite sick, it only lasted about 24 hours. I could almost feel the sickness rushing through me ;) Teaching is far more pleasant when one can stand up straight and speak in full sentences :) I am thankful for God, my Healer!

One of the prayer requests a student raised in class was quite serious. A woman, a colleague of the student's uncle, was kidnapped in Sudan. When she told us this, the woman had been in a slave camp for 101 days. On Tuesday, we heard news that she was released over the weekend after 104 days of captivity with no ransom paid! We are very excited that she is safe, and on her way home and beginning of journey of recovery. Some great conversations were had in class related to miracles and missionaries and courage. I am thankful for God, the All-Powerful!

Last night I went to a Bible study here in our neighborhood. It is a group whose home church is here in our neighborhood, Christ Church Rwanda, which is where I attended this past Sunday. There were 11 of us that met to study the book of John. It was fun to look around and see in addition to 4 Americans, people from Scotland, Ireland, England, Rwanda, Burundi, and Kenya. Some of us are teachers at KICS and others work for NGO's here in Kigali. It was nice to venture out and begin meeting people in our neighborhood/community. It was a great study that ended with a discussion on how keep away from falling into a mindless, cold routine when it comes to 'religion' and stay 'real'. I am thankful for the provision of community!

I'm still struggling with my geometry class, and definitely need to make it an issue of prayer. My students come from all walks of life, but they seem to find unity in disrespect. They disrespect each other, they disrespect me, and they disrespect the school. It is a small class, but I think the smaller numbers are giving them confidence to unite together against me - or I'm just being paranoid! Scary high schoolers!! Yet, I am still thankful for God who brings unity and mercy and grace and love.

While I was writing the last paragraph I got a Skype call from my LCMS friends! Seeing them in school, getting ready and doing what I consider "normal" prep for the school year made me a little sad that I am not there with them. I have been doing really well considering homesickness, at least, better than I thought I would. I find that the worst moments come when there is little to do and my mind wanders back 'home'. I am really beginning to enjoy Kigali though and feel more comfortable with life here. I love my new friends and its a joy and adventure to get to know them each day. This weekend some of us are going to Akagera, a game park here in Rwanda, and I'm looking forward to the outing! I am thankful for God, the All-Knowing, the Alpha and Omega, my Provider, my Friend.

Love and miss you all! May God bless you abundantly with His goodness and mercy!

No comments:

Post a Comment