Teaching in Kigali, Rwanda

Welcome! This page was intended to keep my friends and family informed of my experiences in Kigali for the 2010-2011 school year. Thanks for stopping by and staying in touch! I will continue to post as I transition back to life in California.

Sunday, September 12, 2010

Kibuye

This weekend we had a staff retreat in Kibuye at Lake Kivu, about 3 hours west of Kigali. We stayed at the Bethanie House, a Presbyterian retreat center. The location was absolutely beautiful! Some have asked about the accommodations. Its hard to describe, because it doesn't seem fair to compare to other hotels or retreat centers I've been to. After all, I am in Africa :) I shared a room with Gerda, she's the Kindergarten teacher and is from Holland. I love getting to know her! Our room had two small beds (with mosquito nets!), some tables, and a bathroom with running water! (no hot water or toilet seat, but we managed fine) :) There are some pictures on facebook if you haven't checked them out already.

After the 3 hour windy car ride (yay for anti-nausea pills), we threw our stuff in our rooms and went down to the boat 'dock'. 17 of us got on a wooden boat and began our adventure to Bat Island. Half way there, David gets up to go talk to the captain of the boat - apparently we were heading to the wrong Island. So there proceeded to be a bit of an argument (not heated thankfully) about location and price, and after 10-15 minutes we were on our way again, to Bat Island. The whole trip took about an hour as we did not go very fast.

When we got there, David immediately began to lead the group up a trail to the top of the island. I made it about half-way before loosing my breath and thinking I didn't walk to continue to fight my muscles and knees. I got some great pictures of the bats, and the dark clouds that were forming. Mala and I decided to head down the trail together and meet up with the other half of the group that came on a boat after us. The kids got some swimming time in before the water got choppy and it was decided that we should head back before the rain started. As soon as everyone got back from the hike we hopped in the boats and headed back to the Bethanie.

A few minutes after we leave the rain started to come DOWN. And with the wind, the little cloth roof over our heads did not provide much protection. Most of us hunkered down and hid in the middle of the boat under our towels. But as soon as those got wet, we realized there was no reason to hide. We were just wet! It made for some fun times, fun pictures, and fun memories. We made it back safely in less than an hour, and had some time to dry off before dinner.

After a nice dinner we shared in a time of worship and teaching. Dr. Miller spoke about taking advantage of the opportunities we have each day to worship and glorify God. He said that it could be easy to think "Well, I took a big step of faith and moved to Rwanda and so that's good." While that's good, we have to continually be aware of where God is leading and what big and small things He is offering to us to be a part of. After that I went back to room, deep in thought about my time here in Africa and what, beyond teaching 18 wonderful 6th graders, God has in store for me here.

I brought along several of Donald Miller's books with me. I brought these because I find that I can re-read them several times and gain something new. I chose "Through Painted Deserts" and picked a chapter from the time he was at the Grand Canyon and was waiting to hike down into the canyon. These passages stood out to me from chapter 9:

"Imagining the {Easter sunrise} service reminds me again that life is more than clothes and cars and a new flavor of toothpaste, that it is community and creation and beauty and humanity. And I think I am starting to prefer the latter to the former; by that I mean I am getting used to not having any music or television and not pulling over and buying something as a way of feeling some kind of change. There is a serenity in life, after all, and once a withdrawal is felt at having left the lies behind, a soul begins to feel at home in its own skin."

"I begin to think of my time at the canyon in these terms, as learning to dance in a new way, the first few lessons had me feeling clunky and awkward, but soon they will give way to a kind of graceful sway, and I won't stop at gift shops or hunt for a television, but like Paul I will be able to stand over a pot of boiling beans for hours and feel completely content, as though there was nothing in life that I was missing out on. It gives me a little joy to think about things this way, and I smile at a couple as they pass me along the guardrail, and I pull a bit of pine needle off a tree and roll it in my palms and smell the mintlike scent of creation as I let the green shards spill from my palms to the path along the rim. And I think to myself, There is nothing I am missing. I have everything I was supposed to have to experience the magnitude of this story, to dance with God."

Sometimes I feel like I might be missing out on something. I am here, and I am involved and I love what I do, but is there more? Jesus says in John 10:10 that He came so that we may have abundant life. Am I living an abundant life? I think I am learning a new definition of abundant life here in Rwanda. I don't think I fully grasp it yet, but I think I'm on my way.

Saturday morning we spent more time in worship, and Dr. Miller spoke about balance. It was a good time of reflection, a time of rest, and I time to just be, and realize that enjoying the beauty of this place is glorifying to our Creator, and this is the abundant life.


3 comments:

  1. I SAW YOU ON SKYPE TODAY! That was so cool.

    ReplyDelete
  2. "Am I living an abundant life?" I think that's a natural question that comes up after reading Don's books, especially A Million Miles. Do you think his take on life in Through Painted Deserts changes with A Million Miles, or do you think it's the same outlook, just deepened? One seems like it's encouraging us to slow down, the other to get up and do something! Maybe I'm adding my own attitudes to it. Or maybe we have different seasons where one is more needed and then later the other. What do you think?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think for Donald, and maybe for most people, we need to slow down and recognize what the abundant life is (instead of pursing the world's definition which most of us tend to do), and then pursue it, whatever that may be. So, I don't think his take on life changes so much as we see a normal part of the growth cycle. I would go with the answer 'deepened' :)

    ReplyDelete