Teaching in Kigali, Rwanda

Welcome! This page was intended to keep my friends and family informed of my experiences in Kigali for the 2010-2011 school year. Thanks for stopping by and staying in touch! I will continue to post as I transition back to life in California.

Sunday, October 3, 2010

Adoption

It's been hard to sit down and write these last few weeks. Not because I'm too busy because life in Rwanda is much slower than life in L.A. (and that is a good thing!). I think it's been hard because I'm not sure what to write about now. The learning curve is not as steep as it was a month ago (and that is a good thing too!). I've now been here two months.

I am still adjusting and learning a new way of life, but feel settled. My classes as school have gotten into a routine and we are moving at a nice flow, though my sixth graders are learning to test the boundaries! While I know this is a natural part of teaching, it is very wearing because that means I have to work extra hard at pushing back and keeping them in line! But really, I can't complain, they are still a dream class and I love them! If you haven't seen yet, I put up some new pictures on fb, including pictures of the kiddos. I even got one of the geometry kids, but I had to pay them to smile ;)

I've been here long enough now to see some incredible stories, not just hear about them. This is my favorite so far: A month ago when we went to Akagera, a friend of Mr. Robinson came along too. I mentioned him briefly as someone from Texas, his name is Shawn. He is here because his family is trying to adopt a little girl and they were having trouble with the adoption agency back home. He and his wife have 3 boys and just found out that a 4th boy is on the way! This is the problem the adoption agency had. Even though they had been working with the agency for a year and a half, they were told they would have to drop the process because of the pregnancy. The family couldn't bear this news, so Shawn got on a plan and came here to Rwanda to adopt a little girl directly from the Rwandan government - not knowing how long or if it would even be possible. Two weeks ago he got to go to the orphanage (the same one I was at a month ago) and meet his little girl, Grace. This past Thursday Grace got to "go home" with him (to the Robinson's). We all met her at church this morning and it was such a beautiful sight to behold. There are not words to describe the joy in Shawn's face, and there were many other adoptive parents nearby to share in this celebration with him! There are still many issues to work out including a stop in Ethiopia for a health exam so the States will let them come home. Please pray with us that all goes well this week and Shawn and Grace will be with the rest of their family by next Sunday!

This afternoon I went back to the orphanage. I don't know if it was easier or harder today. I think it was easier in the sense that I knew what I was walking into and I could be mentally and emotionally prepared. It was easier to hold on to them and love them and sing and rock and play and hug. It was harder to leave this time, for sure. The same little girls that sat on my lap a month ago found me and we played some more. Then, an older girl (3 or 4) sat on my lap and went from demanding play to sucking her thumb and burrowing her head in my chest. Two little boys (1 year olds) toddled close and stared and as I picked them up they too just put their heads on my chest and sat quietly. Moments like these its easy to look past the flies and scabs and runny noses and just hold on and pray that they will find a family like Grace did.

I love adoption stories. Who doesn't, right? It's hard for me not to cry when I think of the special kind of love it takes to make someone a part of family, and what a blessing that is! Throughout my adult life I've been blessed to be part of some awesome adoption stories, from my sweet cousins, to friends, to some of my favorite students. I hope to know many more of these stories (and maybe even one of my own someday?!) as life's journey continues. (And for all you who are thinking it, no, I will not be bringing one of the darlings home with me! Still waiting on a husband first! ha!) But in seriousness, I think I love adoption so much because it's such a plain reminder of God's unconditional love and how He has accepted us as His sons and daughters. SO COOL!

Well, I was going to write more, but I think I will end there… with a song :) We, rather the kids, sang this song in church today:

This little light of mine
I'm gonna let it shine!
This little light of mine
I'm gonna let it shine!
This little light of mine
I'm gonna let it shine!
Let is shine! Let it shine! Let it shine!

Hope you all have a blessed week letting your lights shine!


No comments:

Post a Comment