Teaching in Kigali, Rwanda

Welcome! This page was intended to keep my friends and family informed of my experiences in Kigali for the 2010-2011 school year. Thanks for stopping by and staying in touch! I will continue to post as I transition back to life in California.

Monday, August 16, 2010

All set and ready to go!

I'm finding that I like the simplicity of life here in Kigali. I was worried about not having enough school supplies, but as I finished preparing my classroom and lesson plans today I realized how thankful I am that I don't have too much with which to work. I posted some pictures of the room on facebook tonight - kind of a "before" picture (before the kids show up).

School starts in the morning and I feel ready! I am excited about the year ahead, the students, and the journey God has in store for all of us.

The last few days have been a little slower than the previous. I was able to sleep in a little this weekend, and work on school stuff in the afternoons. Our school "meet and greet" was Saturday evening and afterward some of the teachers went out for Indian food. It was a fun and yummy experience.

Sunday I went to St. Stevens, an Anglican church, with Vicki (grade 5), and her husband. I really enjoyed the worship service, though I admit I had a hard time understanding and following the message. The congregation sang loud - it was very beautiful. For lunch we went to a restaurant called Shokala and I had a quesadilla! It was good - had rice and gouda cheese - not how I would make, but a good attempt :) I think I am going to really miss cheddar jack…

As far as food goes, it been tough trying to get a feel for what I can get beyond basics to make a meal. Stores here vary in selection on a daily basis, and while many staples (milk, cereal, bread, flour, sugar, jam, meat) it's hard to think of ways to prepare meals, specifically dinner. Tonight we had spaghetti as I found a flavoring packet at one store. The store also had jars of spaghetti sauce but they were upwards of $10 for a jar that is half the size of what we are used to in the states! I'm hoping that as I get a better feel for where stores are, what items cost, and what is available I can get a handle on this. Until then, it will be a lot of cereal, toast, and spaghetti :) (If anyone wants to send a care package - creamy pesto, spaghetti, stroganoff, soups (dry), and hot chocolate (also $10+) would be greatly appreciated!!!)

Well, I better go to bed so I'm not too groggy for the kids tomorrow! Thank you for the prayers and blessings for our school year! God is good!


2 comments:

  1. We're praying for you Jennifer! Hope your first day of school was awesome. I know God brought you and your students together for an extraordinary year!! Daphnelynn and I will see if we can get you a care package!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay for the Anglican church! My favorite authors come from that tradition. Are there more churches for you to try in the area, or is that your main option?

    ReplyDelete