Teaching in Kigali, Rwanda

Welcome! This page was intended to keep my friends and family informed of my experiences in Kigali for the 2010-2011 school year. Thanks for stopping by and staying in touch! I will continue to post as I transition back to life in California.

Friday, August 6, 2010

Day 1

My first full day in Kigali was quite full and productive! I arrived last night on-time, and after some supper was able to get 10 solid hours of sleep!

This morning I was given a tour of KICS and saw my classroom for the first time! (Lisa took a picture for me, but sadly I have lost the picture L ) I love my purple… sorry, Hyacinth, classroom! I can’t wait to see what it looks like with all the posters and borders I brought with me. I will try extra hard to get a picture of that put up on facebook J

The new teacher’s met at the Dennis’ house I we had some to share about ourselves and get to know each other as we begin this adventure together! I met one of the of the girls who is going to be my roommate. Her name is Hannah and she is from England, and we are going to be very good friends!

After this we all went to Afrika Bite, a buffet restaurant with very yummy food (picture lost here as well). I was welcomed to Rwanda with a mandatory moto-taxi ride! I gladly gave my return money to a fellow teacher so he could ride to a store for a phone (and then I took his spot in the car back to the house. I was able to take one suitcase of supplies to my classroom so far and unload it, and hopefully the second one will go soon!

I got to peek at the house I’m going to be living in – it’s amazing!! The lady in charge of “supplying” the house decorated with a purple theme! My bedroom has a king-sized bed with beautiful sheets and blankets (and matching lavender towels)… the room has curtains, an armoire, and a desk – all a beautiful cherry color. The kitchen is fully supplied with dishes, cooking utensils, pots, pans, a small fridge and even a microwave! (yay – I get to heat up my coffee that I drink to slow!). There are two full bathrooms, one upstairs, and one downstairs. All three bedrooms are upstairs. (I will take pictures when I can).

Tonight I believe the plan is to eat dinner, watch a movie and go to bed early!

Do you have questions for me?! Go ahead and ask – I’m sure I’m leaving out a lot of details.

Good night!

4 comments:

  1. Sounds like a great day of "opening" your surprise "packages"...classroom and house. I'm happy for you that you will be surrounded by purple. ;)

    What is your first impression of what you got yourself into?

    I miss you.

    Love ya,

    Pep =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lisa reminded me that I forgot to mention my first "Kinyarwanda" lesson. I should now be able to say "What is your name?" "My name is Jennifer" "Good morning/Are you still alive?" "Thank you" and "good" I think I learned a few other things too… but I've already forgotten :( Language has never been my strong suit so we'll see how this goes! (If only it was as easy as math! hehe…)

    Pepper - My first impression is "oh my goodness" It's a little overwhelming, but I can do all things through Christ! I'm thankful for His Word and the community He has given me to help me along this journey!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yay! I'm so glad that you've hit it off with Hannah! And I love how abundantly blessed you've been with the creature comforts of "home." That's important to help you feel at "home" away from here. Can't wait to see pictures!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm glad you had yummy food. And your room sounds great! I miss you already and am jealous for your adventure. You are living a great story right now.

    ReplyDelete