Teaching in Kigali, Rwanda

Welcome! This page was intended to keep my friends and family informed of my experiences in Kigali for the 2010-2011 school year. Thanks for stopping by and staying in touch! I will continue to post as I transition back to life in California.

Thursday, August 12, 2010

Settling and Organizing

The last few days have been filled with moving into my new home for the year and getting ready for school to begin (next Tuesday!). I love my house and roommates, and am quickly getting used to a new way of life. There are some comforts like a big bed, a westernized bathroom, a kitchen with modern appliances. Some new chores to get used to are turning on the water heater and water pump (outside) to take a warm shower upstairs (can't leave them on because the electricity would be $$), boiling and filtering water for drinking (which is a slow process, and the three of us girls drink a lot!), and having a large security gate to run out an unlock or lock when people come and go. Not hard chores, just different!

At school today we had a lesson about Rwanda's history, land, and culture. One of the dad's at our school teaches pastors at a seminary here. He and his family have been here for about six years. He was able to give us a lot of good information, very helpful to all of us as we are adjusting here, related to how Rwandan people interact, expectations, and some cautions for us as well. We were scheduled to visit the Genocide Memorial in the afternoon, but as we are all so busy getting ready for school, the trip has been postponed a few weeks.

Tonight the guys came over to cook dinner at our house because they do not have gas for their stove yet. They were gracious to share some of what they made (spaghetti - which I've been craving the last few days), and it was fun just to have company. I learned that Douglas has a Whirley Pop (decided he couldn't live without it last year - somehow managed to bring it - I wish I could have figured out how to bring mine!) - and so he is invited to come over and use our free internet whenever he wants - as long as he brings the Whirley Pop - ha! Having a house full of friends reminds me of life in Lakewood - 'tis so sweet :)

My classroom is coming along. It's very different planning, organizing, and preparing for a contained classroom environment. My biggest challenge this week has been scheduling. I am teaching one high school class in the middle of the day which makes things hard as I have to plan for what my 6th grade students will do during that time - and plan all the 'specials' around that time as well. Craziness, but it all seems to be working out. I was able to start putting posters on the wall today, so it's looking more like a classroom. I plan on spending all day Saturday in my room to have it ready for next week.

Tomorrow (Friday) all the teachers are going on retreat to Lake Muhazi, an hour or so away from Kigali. We will spend the day there relaxing and getting to know each other better. Sounds exciting - I plan to bring my camera - hopefully the air will be clear and I can take some nice pictures!

Thanks for all the prayers, comments, and emails! I appreciate y'all so much! I have been sleeping much better (I got a fan yesterday!), and just have an overall sense of peace here.

Love to you all and Good night :)

5 comments:

  1. Jenn, I am so glad that there is someone there to share in our love for popcorn. I must admit, I had some the other day, & it just wasn't the same :( . I miss you my friend but am so excited for all that God is going to do in you and through you. Hugs! ~Amy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jenn, I am loving your blog! It's fun being able to keep up with what you're doing. It is so fantastic that you have a house full of friends over there, too. I know it was hard for you to leave that here. God provides. I'm counting on Him providing for me, too, once my house is empty except for me...the day is rapidly approaching.
    I miss you like CRAZY!
    Love ya,
    Pep =)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yay!!! I love that you get to have a full house AND get to revel in the joy that is the Whirley Pop! A sweet "gift!" and you are doing a fab job of keeping your blog updated...way better than me!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Jenn! I was so excited to see that you had a new blog post up. I love reading about what you're up to and what it's like in Kigali. So what happened to you just teaching math? I guess I never heard about 6th grade. How did that come about?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Amy - you are right, it is definitely not the same. I miss you - *hugs* back!

    Pepper - I can't imagine what you're going through. I must say it has to be easier to be the one to leave (new adventures and all) then to be the one left :( I am praying for you sweet friend! God has provided you with a wonderful community right there in your driveway!!

    Pami - I think if my blogs were as deep as yours they would be few are far between. My sometimes mindless ramblings help me type fast =D

    Cora - Yay - I'm glad my blogs excite you! :) There have been a lot of changes to the schedule as teachers have been hired, some have had to leave, new ones have been hired, so even as of now we are still working out who is teaching what. I was asked to do 6th grade back in June, but they are lacking a high school teacher for one subject, geometry, so that is why I'm doing a little of both. It's really amazing to sit back and look at the whole school schedule because it brings out God's glory that He answers prayer and provides for this school!!

    ReplyDelete