Teaching in Kigali, Rwanda

Welcome! This page was intended to keep my friends and family informed of my experiences in Kigali for the 2010-2011 school year. Thanks for stopping by and staying in touch! I will continue to post as I transition back to life in California.

Monday, August 9, 2010

Random Thoughts

Today (well, yesterday now) I went to church in Africa for the first time. The Sudman family graciously invited me to attend with them at CLA (Christian Life Assembly). It is an Assemblies of God church, with a Canadian pastor, mostly Rwandan congregation, but other nationalities as well. The stage was decorated in an Olympic theme with flags from around the world. There had been a VBS at this church this week and the theme was… Olympics :) I loved the whole atmosphere. I knew one of the things that I felt I would learn most while I was hear was a bigger picture of God's world, and here I felt like I was beginning to get a small taste of that.

However, there have now been countless times when I, or someone here I've just met, have said "what a small world we live in!" Whether it has been people I met at the airport (my 'aunt' Melissa's friend John), missionary families at the school (a mom/midwife has worked in the Philippines and knows Mavis, a midwife who runs the clinic where Pami is going to be working :)), or new colleagues (just heard from Jill A. that a Minnesotan friend will be here at KICS this week to meet up with someone!), we are all making connections to those we know around the world - very fun!

Jet lag has not been nice to me. I can't seem to sleep through the night with the help of some kind of sleep aid. :( So, I read, I pray, I lay quietly, I listen to music, and now I blog…

I've been reading a lot of good books lately. This week I've started on Richard Stearns' "The Hole in our Gospel". Its fascinating to hear his story of how he become the President of World Vision. He did not seek after this position but it sought him. Following God’s will means giving up his comfortable life for he and his family. He is asked to sacrifice and stretch in very difficult ways. But later, as he does follow God's will, he sees that the sacrifice is not so terrible and in fact a blessing.

I've had it pretty easy here so far. It's only been 3 full days. Tomorrow is election day so we are staying home and working on paper work. Tuesday begins meetings and lots of classroom time. It's also the day Hannah and I can move into our house. I am excited about all of these things but also anxious about leaving the Sudman nest and venturing a little bit out on my own (I'll be like a whole 5 houses down the street).

Today we were taken to an outdoor restaurant/park (I'll have to get the name from Lisa later as everyone is sleeping right now!) where we had time to socialize with missionary families, their kids, and the teachers who are here so far. It was a nice afternoon and a good time to get to know people and feel even more at peace about this whole 'living in Kigali' thing :)

Tonight as I first tried going to bed I listened to a song by Lincoln Brewster: Today is the Day. If you haven't heard it, you should! I think these lyrics are going to often help put my day into perspective!

Today is the Day, by Lincoln Brewster

I putting my fears aside

I'm leaving my doubts behind

I'm giving my hopes and dreams to you

Jesus

I'm reaching my hands to yours

Believing there's so much more

Knowing that all you have in store for me is good

Is good

Today is the day you have made

I will rejoice and be glad in it

Today is the day you have made

I will rejoice and be glad in it

And I won't worry about tomorrow

I'm trusting in what you say

Today is the day

I will stand upon your truth

I will stand upon your truth

And all my days I'll live for you

All my days I’ll live for you

Today is the day you have made

I will rejoice and be glad in it

Today is the day you have made

I will rejoice and be glad in it

And I won't worry about tomorrow

I'm giving you my fears and sorrows

Where you lead me I will follow

I'm trusting in what you say

Today is the day

No comments:

Post a Comment